Roasted Duck with Baked Apples
Succulent roast duck is a flavor powerhouse and so easy to make!
- 1 large duck weighing 1.5Kg/3lb 5oz
- Flaked sea salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 or 5 whole apples with peel
- Heat oven to 225ºF. Pull any excess fat from the duck’s cavity and use a roasting fork or skewer to prick the skin of the duck all over – do this lightly so you don’t pierce the meat. Rub the duck generously inside and out with flaked sea salt, and other spices, then lay, breast-side down, on a rack over a roasting tray. Roast the duck for 3 hrs., pricking again every 25 minutes or so. While the duck is cooking, score a line gently around the middle of each apple and set aside (this stops them from exploding when they cook).
- After 3 hrs., remove duck from the oven and turn the heat to 350ºF. Place duck on a plate and carefully pour away most of the fat from the roasting pan. Return the duck to the rack, right side up, and continue to roast for about 30 mins. Arrange the apples around the sides of the duck and roast for a final 30 mins. By now you should have the crispiest duck and apples on the verge of collapse. Leave the duck to rest for 10 mins, then carve and serve with the apples.