Whole Roasted Chicken with Apples
The lovely aroma that fills your home when you make this dish is unforgettable and so comforting.
- 1 five-pound roasting chicken
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- I Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 apple, quartered
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped, divided
- 10 or 11 small RubyFrost apples, cored, leave whole
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 6 leaves fresh sage
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 fresh limes, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Open oven and place an empty cast iron skillet on the top rack.
- Meanwhile, remove the giblets and rinse the chicken inside and out. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Season inside and out with salt, pepper, and minced garlic. Place 1 quartered apple, half of the chopped onion, and half the herbs in the cavity of the chicken.
- Once the oven is heated, carefully remove pan with oven-safe mitt, and drizzle 1 Tbsp olive oil in pan.
- Place the remaining chopped onion in the bottom of the pan. Put the prepared chicken on top of the onions and add the remaining whole apples and herbs around it.
- Brush the remaining olive oil and melted butter on the chicken.
- Roast for approximately 1.5 hours until juices run clear and the internal temperature is 165F.
- When chicken is ready to serve, place fresh lime wedges in between apples.