Upside-down Apple Coffee Cake
Apples and cranberries adorn the top of this moist cake that can be enjoyed as dessert or for a breakfast treat.
Serving Size1 Slice
Cook Time30 mins
- KCal: 250kal
- Carbs: 49g
- Fiber: 1g
- Fat: 5g
- Protein: 3g
- Sodium: 180mg
- 1 cup(s) Natural Applesauce
- 1 medium apple
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) water
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut apple in half and remove core. Cut each half into slices approximately 1/8-inch thick.
- Stir together brown sugar and water in medium saucepan. Add apple slices.
- Cook, stirring gently over medium heat, until apple slices are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cranberries in bottom of nonstick or greased 9-inch cake pan. Arrange apple slices over cranberries, drizzling with brown sugar sauce. Set aside. In large bowl or mixer, beat butter with granulated sugar until thoroughly combined.
- Add apple sauce and egg.
- In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Gently blend into apple sauce mixture.
- Spoon batter over apples and cranberries, spreading evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool 15 minutes before turning cake out onto wire rack to cool completely.