Sweet Potato and Apple Hash
Brunch just got a whole lot tastier with this dish. Be ready to share the recipe.
- 1-pound sweet potatoes, washed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small apples, fuji recommended, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat 2-3 minutes while chopping sweet potatoes. Once hot, add potatoes and water and cover with tight fitting lid.
- Steam the potatoes for about 7 minutes with the lid on.
- Peel and chop apples while sweet potatoes are cooking.
- Finely chop the sage while the potatoes are cooking.
- After 7 minutes, remove the lid and add 2 tbsp. olive oil to sweet potatoes, toss well to coat. Cook over medium heat 3 minutes.
- After the potatoes have cooked for 3 minutes with olive oil, add the chopped apples, finely chopped sage, shallot, minced garlic, and spices. Stir well.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes over medium heat, stir occasionally to ensure sweet potatoes don't burn.
- Goes well with scrambled eggs or chicken.