Spicy Chorizo and Apple Hash
Apples are the perfect sweet counterbalance to spicy chorizo. The optional poached egg takes this dish to another level.
Serving Size1 Serving
- 1 large tart, crisp apple (Empire apples work well), cubed
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 2 small red potatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided, plus more as needed)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces raw pork chorizo or spicy soy chorizo
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium jalapeño, halved, seeds and ribs removed, and cut into tiny dice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 poached eggs (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Place apples and potatoes into a medium bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, toss to combine.
- Spread apples and potatoes onto a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast in preheated oven 30 to 40 minutes until tender and beginning to brown on the edges.
- Toss them once or twice during roasting to ensure even cooking.
- While potatoes and apples are cooking, put a large, cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and add raw chorizo to the skillet, breaking it up with a wooden spoon (if you are using soy chorizo, cooking time will be 5 minutes).
- Cook, stirring and breaking up chorizo, until lightly browned and beginning to look dry and crumbly, about 10 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer chorizo to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Leave the fat in the skillet, adding extra olive oil to bring the volume of fat to about 2 tablespoons, if necessary.
- Add diced onion, and diced jalapeño to the skillet in which the chorizo was cooked.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in minced garlic and cook 1 minute more. Turn off the heat.
- Gently fold in roasted apples, potatoes, and cooked chorizo.
- Turn the heat to low and cook, folding gently, until the flavors come together, about 2 minutes.
- Serve warm with poached eggs on top (if using).