Slow Cooker Chicken and NY Apples with Crème Fraiche
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ½ to 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 shallots
- ¼ cup of apple cider
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 New York apples, peeled and cored
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- ¼ cup crème fraiche
- Mashed potatoes as desired
- Melt butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken thighs with salt. Brown shallots and chicken thighs, in batches if needed, on both sides. Do not completely cook chicken.
- Remove chicken and shallots from skillet and add to slow cooker.
- Remove skillet from heat and add apple cider. Return skillet to heat and deglaze pan by mixing pan juices and remaining chicken pieces with simmering cider. Add liquid to slow cooker, along with chicken broth, bay leaves, thyme and New York apples.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 4 hours. Half an hour before serving, stir in sage. Just before serving, stir in crème fraiche. Serve over mashed potatoes.