Savory Pork and Apple Stew
Inspired by Allrecipes.com
A sweet and savory blend of pork and apples. Comfort in a bowl.
Serving Size1 Serving
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time2 hours
Total Time2 hours, 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb. boneless pork shoulder, cubed
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb. new potatoes, cut into 1/2 -inch cubes
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 28 ounces beef broth
- 1 large apple (Crispin or Jonamac work well) peeled, cored and sliced
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Put flour into a large shallow bowl. Add cubed pork and toss until coated. Shake off the excess flour and place pork in the hot oil. Cook until browned on each side, and then remove with a slotted spoon from the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and melt the butter in the pan. Add the onion and garlic, then season with thyme, oregano, rosemary, basil, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until the onion is tender and translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour the wine and beef broth into the pot and add the pork and apple. Cover and cook for about 45 minutes, until potatoes and apples are tender.