Sauteed Cabbage with Apples
A simple combination of salty, sweet, and tangy flavors makes this a favorite side dish for chicken, beef, or pork.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small head green cabbage about 2 1/2 pounds
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar plus additional to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Cut head of cabbage into half and slice cabbage halves into thin ribbons.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and butter to melt, then add the cabbage, apple, shallot, salt, and pepper.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and begins to brown.
- While the cabbage is cooking, whisk together mustard and apple cider vinegar.
- Add this mixture to the cabbage in the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from heat. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle fresh thyme on top
- Serve warm.