Sage and Sausage Stuffed Baked Apples
If you’re breaking with tradition during the holidays, you might want to try these tasty sausage-stuffed apples for an amazing alternative – they have all the fall flavors you love.
Serving Size1 Apple
- KCal: 250kal
- Carbs: 41.7g
- Fat: 7.5g
- Protein: 6.3g
- 1 Tablespoon oil or butter
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- ½ pound ground pork or poultry sausage
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 box of stuffing mix
- 1 ¼ cup unsalted chicken broth
- 12 large New York Fuji apples
- (optional) 3/4 cup golden raisins
- Heat oil or butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add sausage and sage to skillet and cook thoroughly, making sure to break up large pieces. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, stir stuffing mix and sausage mixture together. Add chicken broth according to box instructions, substituting chicken broth for water. Reserve about ½ cup of broth for future use.
- Stir mixture until stuffing is soft and moist. Add more broth as needed. Set aside.
- With a sharp knife, halve Fuji apples. Use a spoon or a melon baller to carefully scoop out the entire core of the apple. Repeat this for every apple.
- Spoon stuffing into apples and place in a high-sided baking dish. Carefully pour additional broth over apples. Add another ¼ cup to the bottom of the dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350° F for 30 minutes or until apples have softened.