Roasted Pumpkin and Apple with Maple Syrup
Caramelized pumpkin and apple balanced with a touch of flaked sea salt and maple syrup is just heavenly.
- 1/2 small baking pumpkin, seeded and cut into thin wedges
- 3 sweet apples, seeded and sliced into ½” thick rounds
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1- or 2-star anise
- 2-3 fresh sprigs of mint for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Transfer pumpkin slices to a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the melted butter, flaked salt, and toss to combine. Place slices in one layer on a large baking tray. Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, placed apple slices in a large bowl. Add remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter, cinnamon sticks, and star anise, and toss to combine.
- Place the apple rounds on tray with the pumpkin, making sure there are no overlapping pieces of fruit. Bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 325º F. Drizzle the maple syrup over the pumpkin and apple. Toss to coat. Bake, turning pieces over once halfway through, for 10 minutes more or until golden and tender. Serve on a platter and garnish with fresh mint.