Roasted Duck with Apples and Wine
Simple to prepare but looks like it’s fit for royalty. The fruit compote paired with the buttery wine sauce creates a rich and complex flavor profile. Your guests will be impressed.
Serving Size1 Serving
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time2 hours, 5 mins
Total Time2 hours, 20 mins
- 1 (4-5-pound) duck, fresh or thawed from frozen
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped into quarters
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 medium size carrot, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 clementine orange, halved
- 8 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 2/3 cups dry red or white wine
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 3 Golden Delicious apples, cut into wedges
- ½ cup pitted and halved Medjool dates
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Rosemary sprigs for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Rinse thawed or fresh duck under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in body cavity.
- Place onion, celery, carrot, and garlic in cavity; secure ends of legs together with string.
- Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck them under duck.
- Place duck on the rack of a broiler pan or roasting pan coated with cooking spray.
- Place rack in pan. Rub orange halves over duck, drizzle with melted butter.
- Pierce skin over breast 5 or 6 times with a fork or sharp knife.
- Bake at 375°F for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 180°F.
- Pour white wine into measuring cup and then pour 4 tbsps. melted butter and ¼ cup chicken broth into wine and whisk together vigorously.
- Then baste duck every 30 minutes with wine sauce.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- Increase oven temperature to 475°F.
- Add apple wedges, Medjool dates, chopped rosemary, and parsley to the roasting pan and pour remaining sauce evenly over duck and fruit.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Place duck on large serving platter and garnish with apple wedges and fresh rosemary sprigs.