Roasted Beet Salad with Apples
This salad checks all the boxes – healthy, tasty, complex, and bright. The earthy flavor of roasted beets and the crunchy sweetness of fresh apples topped with a bright dressing of olive oil, mint, parsley, and lemon are a winning combination.
- 4 large beets (2 1/2 pounds), sliced in 1/4” thick rounds
- Olive oil for drizzling on uncooked beets
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup apple-cider vinegar
- Juice of one lemon, plus zest
- 2 Tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- ⅓ cup salted almonds
- 2 Tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 red apple (thinly sliced)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the beets and use a vegetable scrubber to wash the outside. Remove the stem and root end with a sharp knife. Use a vegetable peeler or paring knife to peel the beets. Beets will stain, so use gloves if you don’t want stained fingers.
- Slice the beets into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and place them in a small bowl. Drizzle olive oil over the sliced beets and then toss to combine. Place the sliced beets in a single layer directly onto baking sheet (do not use foil – they will stick) and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the hot oven until the beets are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar with the lemon juice and lemon zest. Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup of oil until emulsified. Add chopped mint and parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste; toss with the beets and almonds and pumpkin seeds. Transfer the beets to a platter, top with fresh apple slices and serve.