Poached Chicken Breasts in Wine & Applesauce
A simple, but elegant chicken dish using applesauce with wine for the finishing sauce.
- 1 cup applesauce
- 6 boneless and skinless, single chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup semi-dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon(s) crumbled thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) each salt and pepper
- Flatten chicken with a mallet or the sides of a cleaver, place in a glass dish, sprinkle evenly with thyme, salt and pepper and pour wine over all.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least ½ an hour.
- Heat oil on high heat in a skillet.
- Sauté garlic until just slightly browned.
- Add chicken breasts, reserving wine and sear on both sides.
- Lower heat to medium.
- Pour in reserved wine and applesauce.
- Cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings. Serve with green vegetable and crusty bread.