Pearled Barley Salad with Apples, Pomegranate Seeds and Pine Nuts
Grain-based salads are a great way to shake up lunchtime—plus they keep well in the refrigerator, making them a great make-ahead meal option. This recipe makes six servings, so you can whip up a batch on Sunday and enjoy it during the week. (Be sure to refrigerate without the pine nuts, however, or they will lose their crunch. Add them right before serving.)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 4 cups pearled barley, cooked
- 1 large NY apple
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the pine nuts in a pie plate and toast until golden, about five minutes. Let cool.
- In a bowl, whisk the oil with the vinegar and shallot and season with salt and pepper. Add the barley, pine nuts, NY apple, pomegranate seeds and parsley; toss before serving.