Overnight Apple and Sausage Casserole
A hearty and delicious breakfast casserole, put together the night before for an easy morning meal.
- Prep Time10 mins
- Cook Time1 hours
- 1 can (21 oz.) apple pie filling or topping
- 1 lb. bulk pork sausage
- 8 ounce(s) mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounce(s) green onions including tops, thinly sliced
- 6 cups (1 package) bread stuffing cubes, divided
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 5 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- snipped fresh chives or green onions tops, optional
- Grease 13” x 9” baking dish.
- In large skillet, crumble sausage. Cook over medium-HIGH heat until browned. Add mushrooms and onions; cook and stir until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Layer half of the stuffing cubes, sausage mixture and cheese in prepared dish. Top with all of the apple filling, spreading evenly. Repeat layers with remaining stuffing cubes, sausage mixture and cheese. In large bowl, beat eggs with wire whisk until frothy. Whisk in milk; pour mixture evenly over layered ingredients in dish. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- Remove casserole from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake in preheated 350° F oven, uncovered, 55-60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes. If desired, garnish with chives before cutting into squares to serve.