New York Stovetop Applesauce
Simple directions on traditional applesauce preparation using turbinado sugar.
- Serving Size1
- Yields3 Servings
- 6 cups (6 medium) of McIntosh, Crispin, Jonagold and Cortland apples cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- Combine apples, ¾ cup water and sugar in heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are very tender and skins are softened, about 40 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer until almost all liquid in saucepan has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and cinnamon. Cool 30 minutes
- Using fork or potato masher, mash apple mixture until coarse and chunky. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until cold.