New York Microwave Applesauce
An alternative way to make your favorite applesauce.
- 2 medium Golden Delicious apples
- 2 medium Empire apples
- 2 medium Jonagold or Fuji apples
- (Total chopped apples = 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon(s) Turbinado sugar (if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- Core and chop apples into small chunks of uniform size (1/2 inch). Place apples in large microwave-safe bowl. Add ¼ cup water to bowl. Cover and microwave on high 15 minutes. Stir apples. Continue to microwave, uncovered, until apples are very tender, about 5 minutes longer.
- Using potato masher, coarsely mash apples. If skins are too chewy, use a food processor to promote desired texture and break up apple skin. Mix in cinnamon and sugar (if desired).