New York Grilled Apple Salad with Herb Apple Cider Vinaigrette
This is a very colorful, festive salad, thanks to use of both red and green New York State apples, and a healthy amount of romaine lettuce hearts. The herb apple cider vinaigrette nicely blends herbs, spices, and olive oil, with just a touch of apple cider vinegar.
- KCal: 450kal
- Carbs: 32g
- Fiber: 10g
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Protein: 15g
- Sodium: 116mg
- 4 Romaine hearts, washed, trimmed, top inch chopped off, root end left intact
- 1 medium red apple, cored and cut into 6-8 wedges
- 1 green medium apple, cored and cut into 6-8 wedges
- 8 walnuts, halved
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced into disks
- 2 slices pumpernickel bread, cut into cubes
- 2 ounce(s) shaved parmesan cheese
- 2 large hardboiled eggs, sliced
- 1 tablespoon(s) apple cider
- 6 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 tablespoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) each chopped fresh oregano and thyme, OR 1 teaspoon of dried herb mix
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a cruet or lidded jar; shake vigorously to combine.
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a cruet or lidded jar; shake vigorously to combine.
- Prepare grill by lining it with foil or using a grill pan to keep smaller pieces of food from falling through the grill grate. Preheat grill on high temperature.
- Use a basting brush to paint romaine hearts, apple wedges, red onion, and walnut halves with vinaigrette. Saturate bread cubes in remaining vinaigrette. Place romaine and apple wedges on grill. Add onion, bread cubes and walnuts to grill. Grill on high until all ingredients are lightly browned, turning as needed to brown uniformly – approximately 5-10 minutes for the romaine, 20 minutes for apples and other ingredients.
- Remove grilled items from heat and arrange on four plates, placing grilled romaine on each plate first and then topping romaine evenly with other grilled ingredients. Top with shaved parmesan and boiled egg slices. Serve promptly.