New York Gala-Snap Pea Stuffed Roasted Cabbage Wedge Salad with Rice Wine Agave-Soyrizo Dressing
Recipe provided by Chera Little of Cedar Creek, TX, a winner of the 2019 NY Big Apple Salad Contest.
- 1/2 cup(s) all natural soyrizo (soy chorizo), casing removed
- 1/4 cup(s) rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon(s) agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon(s) fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon(s) (optional) minced jalapeno pepper
- 2 lime wedges
- 1/4 cup(s) salted sunflower seeds or salted pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- Cilantro leaves
- 1/2 head small red cabbage
- 2 New York Gala apples
- 2 teaspoon(s) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) each salt and black pepper
- 1 cup(s) fresh snap peas; reserve 5 chopped for the dressing
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using an apple corer, core out 6 evenly-spaced holes in the cut side of cabbage. Now core out six holes of the same size from the apples and set aside. These will be used to stuff the cabbage holes after baking. Reserve any remaining apple skins. Slice remaining apples in small matchsticks and set aside.
- Place cabbage cut side up on a greased baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until edges begin to brown, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and stuff the cored holes with the cored apples. Push snap peas and remaining apple skins in between the layers of the cabbage.
- Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet, heat remaining oil and cook the soyrizo according to the package directions. Add the vinegar, agave, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste, plus the jalapeno pepper, if using. Stir in the reserved apple sticks and chopped snap peas.
- Plate the cabbage cut side up along with a few lime wedges, drizzle with the warm dressing, top with the sunflower seeds and cilantro. Enjoy!