New York Apple Wheat Berry Salad
Nutritious wheat berries add great texture to this salad. A great alternative for oatmeal lovers everywhere.
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 cups cooked wheat berries (directions below)
- 1 large fresh NY apple
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoon(s) raspberry vinegar
- 3 tablespoon(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) pepper
- Choose hard, red winter wheat berries for a chewy texture.
- Buy in Health Food section of store.
- Place 2 cups of uncooked wheat berries in a heavy sauce pan with 7 cups of water and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 1 hour stirring occasionally. Drain and rinse. Serve hot or place in 1-2 cup portions in freezer bags and freeze. Take out as needed for salads, soups and cereal.
- Combine raisins and apple cider and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Combine wheat berries, apples, walnuts and raisins in a bowl.
- Whisk cider, olive oil and vinegar together in a bowl; season with salt and pepper and pour over salad. Mix together. Refrigerate for 30 minutes for flavors to combine.
- Serve hot or cold.