New York Apple Pie Breakfast Cookies
Need an on-the-go apple breakfast for the whole family? Look no further than these “cookies,” which contain a lot more than meets the eye—including heart healthy oats and flavorful spices! Pick one up, get on your way and energize your body and sweet tooth in one convenient package. Secret tip: Add walnuts or pecans for extra crunch!
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 large NY apple (peeled, cored, diced)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Stir together the oats, flour, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk the maple syrup, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract together in a measuring cup, then add the peeled and chopped NY apple.
- Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until the dry ingredients are completely moistened.
- Cover and chill the dough in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then scoop small balls of dough onto the sheet. Slightly flatten each round ball.
- Bake for about 12 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, whisk together the icing ingredients.
- Place cookies on wire rack until completely cooled, and then drizzle with the icing.