New York Apple Latkes
A traditional latke recipe served with store bought applesauce or homemade.
Total Time30 mins
- KCal: 260kal
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- ½ medium red onion diced ¼ inch, (about ⅓ cup)
- 3 large potatoes (about 3/4 lb) peeled, and shredded
- 2-3 large New York apples (about ¼ lb)
- Lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Matzo Meal
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Peel and shred apples into a large bowl filled with water and 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs in large mixing bowl. Add baking powder, whisk until well blended.
- Combine onion, potato and matzo meal in a second bowl. Drain apples and pat dry. Add apples and egg mixture to potato and onion mixture, stir to blend well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil to large skillet on medium high. Scoop potato mixture by rounded half-cup measures onto skillet. Flatten with spatula to make pancakes.
- Cook pancakes about 3 minutes until each side is golden brown. Repeat until all potato mixture is used. Transfer cooked pancakes to baking sheet, bake on center rack of oven 10 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towel to absorb excess fat.
- Serve warm with a side of delicious sweet apple sauce from your store, or click here for a recipe to make your own with NY apples.