Mincemeat Stuffed Apples
A warm and inviting dish that is a feast for the eyes.
Yields2 12-ounce jars
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 4 baking apples, such as Jonagold or Honeycrisp
- 1 cup mincemeat (use store-bought or make your own with the recipe below)
- Hot water as needed
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 ¼ cups sultana raisins
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup dried currants
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup roasted, salted almonds, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons grated orange zest
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Core the center of each apple without cutting down all the way to the bottom. The cut should be approximately 2" in diameter across the top depending on the size of your apples. Repeat for the remaining apples.
- Stuff each apple with the mincemeat and finish each apple with a mound of mincemeat on top. Place the apples in a deep baking dish.
- Pour enough hot water into the baking dish until it comes about 1/2" up the apples. Bake for 30-40 minutes until tender. If you like your apples more tender and softer, bake for an additional 5-10 minutes depending on the size of your apples.
- Combine spices in a bowl. Reserve 1 heaped teaspoon for the mincemeat. Store the rest in a small jar with lid, for later use.
- Inspect two 12-ounce jars for cracks and rings for rust, discarding any defective ones. Immerse in simmering water until mincemeat is ready. Wash new, unused lids and rings in warm soapy water.
- Combine apple, sultanas, sugar, currants, raisins, and butter in a saucepan. Cook over low heat and stir gently until butter has melted. Stir in chopped almonds, orange zest, 1 teaspoon of mixed spice, and cinnamon. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set mincemeat aside to cool down for 30 minutes. Stir in brandy. Spoon into sterilized jars.