Meringue Baked Apples
- 4 medium apples (Jonathan, Idared, Braeburn), cored and cut in half
- ¼ cup apple juice or cider
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Arrange apple halves, cut side up, in greased baking dish
- Heat apple juice, honey, butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small saucepan, stirring over low heat until butter has melted. Pour over the apples. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 15 minutes longer, or until tender.
- In a wide bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until foamy. Add the sugar, two tablespoons at a time, and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Spoon or pipe the meringue over each warm apple half and bake for 10 minutes, or until the meringue is tinged golden brown. Serve warm.