Mediterranean Couscous with Apples
A healthy side dish sweetened with apples.
- KCal: 260kal
- Carbs: 46g
- Fiber: 5g
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Protein: 7g
- Sodium: 230mg
- 1 large New York apple or two small (one red and one green), chopped and cored
- 1 box Israeli couscous (8.8 ounces) or 1.5 cups
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 dried figs, chopped
- 2 dried dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachio nuts
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- fresh chopped parsley, mint and basil (¼ cup)
- zest of lemon (½ teaspoon)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat sauce pan on medium heat and add olive oil. Add chopped onion and let brown. Add couscous and let brown for 1-2 minutes while adding other ingredients except herbs and broth.
- Heat broth in microwave and add to couscous mixture and let simmer covered on stove for 8-10 minutes. Just before cooking time is finished, fold in fresh herbs.