Kale and Spinach Salad with New York Crispin and Honeycrisp Apples
Courtesy of Kellie Braddell - West Point, CA
Recipe provided by Kellie Braddell of West Point, CA, a winner of the 2019 NY Big Apple Salad Contest.
Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1/2 cup(s) plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon(s) honey
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) poppy seeds
- Salt, to taste
- Half and half or milk, for thinning, if needed
- 1 New York Honeycrisp apple, chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 1 cup(s) cantaloupe, chopped
- 6 ounce(s) baby kale/spinach blend
- 1/4 cup(s) dried cranberries
- 1 New York Crispin apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- First, make the dressing. In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Season with salt to taste. Thin, if necessary, with half and half or milk to desired consistency.
- In a medium bowl, toss chopped apples and cantaloupe with lemon juice. Divide kale/spinach blend evenly between 2 plates. Top with apple/cantaloupe mixture, then drizzle poppy seed dressing over each salad. Sprinkle with dried cranberries, walnuts and shredded cheese.