Herbed Pearled Barley and Apples
Inspired by Food & Wine
Savory barley and apples come together beautifully in this dish packed full of texture and flavor.
Serving Size1 Serving
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, almonds, or cashews
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 fresh scallion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups cooked pearled barley
- 1 large tart apple, such as Honeycrisp, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and toast until golden, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- In a bowl, whisk the oil with the vinegar, scallion, minced garlic, fresh herbs, salt and pepper. Add the barley, toasted nuts, apple, and cilantro; toss before serving.
If making ahead of time, follow recipe, but reserve toasted nuts until you are ready to serve. Refrigerate overnight. This dish can be enjoyed warm or cold.