Hearty Ploughman’s Sandwich with Apple & Pickled Onion
This mouthwatering sandwich will ward off your hunger pangs and keep you satisfied for a few hours.
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 125ml (1/2 cup) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 slices Sourdough or French bread, thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp mustard, divided
- 1 tbsp softened salted butter or olive oil mayo
- 8 oz smoked ham, sliced
- 4 oz Aged white cheddar, sliced
- 1/2 small red apple, very thinly sliced
- Handful of watercress sprigs or baby arugula
- Fresh ground pepper and salt to taste
- Place onion in a heatproof shallow bowl. Bring vinegar and mustard seeds to the boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Pour over onion and set aside for 10 minutes to pickle.
- Spread mustard over two slices of bread. Then spread butter on remaining two slices of bread. Take one slice of bread with mustard on it and add 4 oz ham, 2 oz cheddar, half the apple slices, pickled onion slices, and watercress to it, sprinkle salt and ground pepper and then top it off with one buttered/mayo slice of bread. Repeat process for second sandwich. Serve with crispy potato chips.