Ham, Apple and White Bean Soup
Adapted from afedelites.com
You’ll crave this hearty soup over and over. Grab some crusty bread to go with it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large apple, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded cooked ham
- 1 1/2 quarts (1 1/2 liters) chicken stock or broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Pinch of salt, if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large pot or saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, apple, and celery. Cook until onions are softened (5 minutes). Add cumin, pepper, oregano, and garlic, and sauté until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add the shredded ham and cook for 2 more minutes, then pour in the stock. Add the bay leaves and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes to combine all the flavors together.
- Stir in beans and season with salt and pepper as needed. Let simmer for 2 minutes, taste test and more seasoning if needed. Sprinkle fresh parsley on top and serve warm.