Grilled Sausage with Caramelized Onions and Apples
Inspired by allrecipes.com
This is the perfect fall meal to serve after a day of outdoor fun. Sweet apples and onions balance the spices in the cooked sausage. Serve with warm crusty bread!
- 4 hot or mild chicken or pork sausage links
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 medium-size sweet-tart apple such as Empire, peeled, cored, and sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 Tablespoon marjoram
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- With a fork, poke sausages several times. Place in a skillet, cover with water, and simmer over medium-high heat until cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Warm butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add in onions and cook until soft and translucent. Stir in apples and cook, stirring gently, until caramelized, about 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Turn heat up slightly and add apple cider, sage, and marjoram, then cook for about 2 minutes, until liquid is reduced. Stir in fresh lemon juice and turn heat off.
- Meanwhile, place sausages on under broiler and cook until well browned.
- Remove from heat and serve on top of caramelized apples and onions.