Fall Festival Rice Pilaf
This fragrant and jewel-toned rice pilaf is a tasty centerpiece for any occasion.
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine o basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup raw pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 1-1/2 cups water or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup apples, diced
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh flat parsley, finely chopped
- Melt butter and olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add onion, sauté until translucent.
- Add rice and stir for a minute until mostly translucent.
- Add spices to rice and stir again.
- Add broth, diced pumpkin, diced apples, raisins, and chopped apricots, stir to incorporate all ingredients then cover with lid, bring to a boil and then immediately turn heat down to low/simmer.
- Cook for 15-17 minutes– do not lift pan lid completely off until liquid is absorbed. One the rice is cooked, remove pot from the stove (still covered) and leave, undisturbed, for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid, use fork to fluff rice.
- Transfer to serving bowl or platter. Sprinkle parsley over top of rice. Serve warm!