Courtesy of Don't Waste the Crumbs
This sweet riff on classically savory hummus makes for a protein-packed spread that’s great for guilt-free snacking. Earthy and mildly sweet, we like it with Crispin and Gala apples.
- 1 can of garbanzo beans, strained and rinsed well
- 3 ½ – 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water (optional)
- In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients except water, using just 3 ½ tablespoons maple syrup.
- Puree until mixture is smooth, about 30-60 seconds. Add water one tablespoon at a time to create desired consistency. Add remaining maple syrup if desired.