Chicken Drumsticks with Apples and Herbs
Delicious drumsticks are seared with a crispy skin, then cooked with sweet apples and herbs… all in one pan!
- 6 skin-on, chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1-2 Gala or Golden Delicious apples, thinly sliced
- 2 Rosemary sprigs for garnish
- Pat drumsticks dry and add the chicken drumsticks into a large bowl. In small bowl, mix salt, black pepper, and all the other dried spices together. Sprinkle the spice mix evenly over the drumsticks, making sure to coat all sides.
- To a large pan or skillet, add olive oil and heat over med-high heat until oil is shimmering. Add chicken meaty skin side down, and cook 6-8 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove to a plate. If your pan isn't large enough, the browning can be done in batches.
- Add apple cider and minced garlic to pan, using a wooden spoon to loosen the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, and cook until liquid has reduced by half, a minute or two.
- Add chicken back to the pan, scatter apple slices around the chicken, cover with lid and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Spoon a little of the sauce over the chicken and serve.
- If you'd like the sauce to be a little thicker, remove chicken from pan, add 1 Tbsp cornstarch and 1 Tbsp water to a small dish, whisk to combine, then pour into pan and stir until all combined. Cook a minute or two, stirring often, and return chicken to pan after sauce is thickened. Sprinkle a few rosemary sprigs over the top before serving.