Chicken, Apple, and Rice Buddha Bowl
Enjoy the flavors of Asian cuisine in this great make-ahead lunch!
Serving Size1 Serving
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider or rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon 5-spice powder
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon red chili paste
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cups cooked brown or white rice, divided into 4 equal servings
- 1 cup baby arugula, divided in ¼ cup servings
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped peanuts
- ½ cup chopped scallion
- 1 Tablespoon toasted white sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup good quality creamy peanut butter (no added sugar)
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- Mix the vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, five spice powder, honey, sesame oil, and chili paste together. Whisk ingredients together completely. Add chicken to marinade. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat up a skillet to medium heat and add the peanut oil. When the oil is heated, add the chicken and all the sauce into the skillet and cook slowly, for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce reduces.
- While chicken is cooking, make peanut sauce by whisking all sauce ingredients together until smooth.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet, when slightly cool, slice into strips.
- In 4 separate bowls, place rice, arugula, apple slices, scallions, and peanuts, then top with cooked chicken. Drizzle peanut sauce over salads and garnish with white sesame seeds.