Celebration Turkey with Apple Stuffing
This stuffing recipe is perfect for any special occasion, featuring a delicious mix of NY Empire or McIntosh apples, walnuts, celery, minced pork, and fragrant sage.
- Serving Size1
- Yields6 Servings
- 8 lb. oven ready turkey
- melted butter for basting
- 5 USA Empire or McIntosh apples, quartered, cored and chopped
- 4 tablespoon(s) oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 lb. pork mince
- 4 ounce(s) walnut pieces
- 6 ounce(s) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 4 leaves fresh sage, chopped
- 4 pt chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 6 ounce(s) streaky bacon rashers, rinded
- extra oil for brushing
- cooked vegetables for serving
- watercress for decoration
- Preheat Oven to 400° F.
- First make the stuffing. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large pan and fry onion, garlic and celery over gentle heat until softened, but not brown. Transfer to a large bowl. Add remaining oil to pan and fry pork mince in batches to brown. Add to bowl with apples, walnuts and breadcrumbs. Add sage and chicken stock, and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir well to mix. Leave to cool completely.
- Place turkey on worktop and season the cavity. Insert lemon. Lift up the neck flap and spoon in stuffing packing in tightly (only stuff the neck end). Reserve remaining stuffing to serve separately. Pull neck flap over and secure with a skewer or cocktail stick.
- Place the turkey in a roasting tin. Cover breast with rashers of streaky bacon, slightly overlapping, tucking underneath at the sides to secure. Brush with oil, then place in a preheated oven for 20 minutes. Turn down the heat to 350° for 2½ to 3 hours, keeping an eye on it and basting with pan juices every now and then.
- If the thighs or breast are becoming too brown, cover loosely with foil. Pierce thick part of the thigh with a skewer. Juices run clear when turkey is done.
- Remove foil for the last 15 minutes of cooking. Place reserved stuffing in an ovenproof serving dish and heat through in oven at the same time. Leave to rest for 15 minutes, then transfer to a warmed serving platter. Add cooked vegetables and sausages to platter.
- Decorate turkey with a flourish of watercress.