Cabbage, Muenster, and Apple Sandwich
This sandwich is fully loaded with firm sweet apples, gooey melted cheese and sauteed cabbage hitting all of your tastebuds with flavor.
- Serving Size1 Sandwich
- Yields4 Servings
- KCal: 449kal
- Carbs: 48g
- Fat: 21g
- Protein: 17g
- Sodium: 575mg
- 8 slices rye or whole grain bread
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 large yellow onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup green cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 large New York State FUJI apple, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 4 oz (about 1 cup) Muenster cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a medium sauté pan, heat water, apple cider vinegar, and onion over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cover. Simmer for another 3-5 minutes.
- When cabbage has softened, remove from heat and add apples and mustard. Toss until all ingredients are incorporated evenly.
- Assemble sandwiches by layering sliced cheese and cabbage-apple mixture between bread slices.
- Heat butter in a skillet or on a cast iron grill, and toast sandwiches on each side until bread is golden brown and cheese has melted. Slice and enjoy with a fresh glass of New York cider!