Braised Short Ribs with Apples
Adapted from howtofeedaloon.com
These ribs are tender and incredibly flavorful. A great alternative to traditional holiday meals.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time2 hours, 15 mins
Total Time2 hours, 35 mins
- 4lbs beef short ribs, 1/2-inch thick, cut into single bone portions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons ginger, peeled, grated
- 1 cup chicken, beef or vegetable broth
- ½ cup soy sauce or tamari
- ½ cup Hoisin sauce
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil, divided
- 2 Tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 Teaspoon whole red or black peppercorns for garnish
- 2 Honeycrisp or other sweet apples, cored, sliced
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- On a large plate, stir together the flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Turn the short ribs in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the peanut oil.
- Working in batches, if necessary, cook the ribs, turning occasionally, until evenly brown, about 12 - 14 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of the oil in the skillet.
- Over medium high heat in the same skillet, add the garlic, green onions, ginger, and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and deglaze the pan, stirring and scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, and chile-garlic sauce...bring to a boil.
- Transfer the ribs to a large Dutch oven and then add the sauce mixture.
- Cover and cook until the ribs are very tender, about 2 hours. In the last 30 minutes of cooking, add in apple slices.
- When the short ribs are done, use a large spoon or ladle to skim as much as possible from the surface of the sauce. Transfer the ribs to serving dishes or platter. Spoon the sauce over the ribs.