Baked Apple French Toast
Baked French toast with gooey, warm apple filling – a delicious breakfast treat!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time35 mins
- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
For French toast:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 10 slices day-old 100% whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To prepare apples: Melt butter and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in apples, sugar and 3 tablespoons water. Cover and cook stirring occasionally for 4-6 minutes or until slightly softened. In a small dish combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water. Stir into apples and continue to cook until apples are soft and filling is thickened. Let bubble 1 minute. Cool.
- Spoon apple mixture into a greased 13” x 9” x 2” baking dish.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, milk and vanilla. Dip bread slices in egg mixture for 1 minute. Arrange 2 rows of bread on top of fruit filling, overlapping slices slightly. Brush bread with melted butter or margarine. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake uncovered, in preheated 350° F oven for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve fruit side up.