Apple Icebox Pie
This classic dessert combines cool, meringue-like filling with apple-y flavor and a graham cracker crust. A great pick for lovers of ice cream cake!
Cook Time25 mins
- 2 cups Apple Sauce
- 16 graham crackers
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 teaspoon(s) grated lemon rind
- 2 1/2 teaspoon(s) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon(s) plain gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- Crush graham crackers. Mix in 3 tablespoons brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Reserve 1/2 cup of crumb mixture for topping. Pat remainder into bottom of greased 7" x 11" baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Cool.
- Cook apple sauce, egg yolks, remaining sugar, salt, lemon rind and juice together in top of double boiler about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove from range. Add gelatin that has been dissolved in cold water. Cool.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites, pour mixture into crumb crust and top with remaining 1/2 cup crumbs. Chill well before serving.
- Serve with or without whipped cream.