Apple Walnut Spice Cake with Apple Cider Glaze
This delicious cake will take your tastebuds on a journey to grandma’s house. It’s a sweet treat for a wintery day. Great with hot tea or coffee.
- 1/3 c granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 3 cups peeled, diced apples
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cups light brown sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 sticks butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider
- 1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- Cook granulated sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, without stirring, until sugar caramelizes, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in apples. Cook covered until softened, about 6 minutes. Slightly mash apples then cook uncovered until liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 10-inch Bundt pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium dry skillet, toast walnuts over medium heat, stirring constantly, until lightly browned and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon into a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and both sugars on high speed until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flower mixture. Fold in apples and walnuts.
- Transfer batter to pan and bake until cake is deep golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Turn cake out onto rack and let cool completely.
- Beat all icing ingredients until smooth, adding additional cider or sugar to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over cake and serve.