Apple Pound Cake
This perfectly sweet and spicy pound cake delivers on flavor. Make an extra one and give it to your neighbor.
Yields8 to 10 Servings
- KCal: 880kal
- Carbs: 112g
- Fat: 44g
- Protein: 9g
- Sodium: 355mg
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 large Empire apple, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Thoroughly grease a 10-inch loaf pan. Pan may also be lightly floured to reduce sticking if desired.
- In a small bowl, mix apples, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Separate egg yolks and whites.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl, adding sugar gradually. Add egg yolks one at a time, then vanilla extract and buttermilk.
- Whisk cake flour and baking powder together, then gradually mix into batter until all ingredients are incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites and remaining ½ cup of sugar until whites reach soft peaks (whites should barely hold their shape when beater is lifted)
- Fold the whipped egg whites into the cake batter. Pour half the batter into loaf pan and arrange diced apples on top. Cover with remaining batter.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let completely cool before removing from loaf pan.