Apple Pound Cake
Courtesy of Food Network
This perfectly sweet and spicy pound cake delivers on flavor. Make an extra one and give it to your neighbor.
Yields8 to 10 Servings
- KCal: 880kal
- Carbs: 112g
- Fat: 44g
- Protein: 9g
- Sodium: 355mg
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 large Empire apple, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Thoroughly grease a 10-inch loaf pan. Pan may also be lightly floured to reduce sticking if desired.
- In a small bowl, mix apples, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Separate egg yolks and whites.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl, adding sugar gradually. Add egg yolks one at a time, then vanilla extract and buttermilk.
- Whisk cake flour and baking powder together, then gradually mix into batter until all ingredients are incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites and remaining ½ cup of sugar until whites reach soft peaks (whites should barely hold their shape when beater is lifted)
- Fold the whipped egg whites into the cake batter. Pour half the batter into loaf pan and arrange diced apples on top. Cover with remaining batter.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let completely cool before removing from loaf pan.