Apple Pie Granola Bars
For a healthy, great-tasting snack that’s easy to take on the go, give these apple-pie-inspired granola bars a try. They’re packed with nuts and whole grains and sweetened naturally with dates, apples and a touch of honey. A dash of cinnamon and nutmeg delivers that classic apple-pie flavor.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup dates
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup dried NY apples, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the oats in a blender or food processor and pulse for 5 to 10 seconds.
- On a baking sheet, combine the oats, shredded coconut and pecans and toast in the oven for approximately 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes to ensure mixture does not burn. Once golden in color, remove from the oven.
- Place the dates in a food processor and blend until they fully combine and form a paste-like consistency.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the coconut oil, honey and vanilla. As the liquid heats up, begin to stir the date paste until it becomes well-combined with the mixture.
- In a bowl, combine the toasted oat mixture, chopped NY apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and hot liquid from the stove. Stir until completely mixed.
- Firmly press the mixture into a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours or until bars become firm.
- Remove from the fridge and cut into 20 bars. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for more crumbly bars or in the fridge for firmer bars.