Apple Pie Cupcakes
- 3 Medium apples, cored, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Large pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch fine salt
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, plus melted butter for brushing
- 2 Teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- 1 Box (15.25 oz) spice cake mix
- 1 Cup water
- ½ Cup vegetable oil
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup melted butter
- Granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- 3/4 Cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 Tablespoon sour cream
- Ground cinnamon, for sprinkling
For the filling
- Toss the apples, granulated sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt together in a medium bowl. Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add apples and cook, stirring frequently, until apples are tender and liquid is simmering, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in flour until dissolved and liquid thickens. Remove from heat and let filling cool completely. Divide evenly into 12 packed mounds; set aside.
For the cupcakes
- Preheat to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and coat with cooking spray.
- Prepare cake mix according to box instructions.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin tin, then top with a mound of apple filling. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from oven and gently brush muffin tops with melted butter and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Continue to bake until the tops of the cupcakes spring back when pressed, 6 to 8 minutes more. Let the cupcakes cool in the tin for a few minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
For the whipped topping
- Beat the cream, confectioners' sugar and sour cream in a medium bowl on medium-high speed until the mixture forms soft peaks. Transfer to a pastry bag or a resealable plastic bag (snip off the tip), pipe a dollop onto each cupcake and sprinkle with cinnamon.