Apple, Morbier Cheese and Ham Tart
Fresh apple, creamy Morbier cheese, and salty ham – the wonderful flavors of France in a delicious little tart.
Serving Size1 Serving
Yields8 to 10 Servings
Prep Time45 mins
Total Time3 hours, 45 mins
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 stick plus 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- One 8-ounce wheel of chilled Morbier or other soft cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 sweet cooking apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4-pound ham, diced into small cubes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of freshly grated nutmeg or allspice
- Dash of ground cloves
- 1 Tbsp toasted walnuts (for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In a food processor, pulse the 1-3/4 cups of all-purpose flour with the kosher salt.
- Add the cubed butter and pulse until it is the size of small peas.
- Add egg yolk, ice cold water and yogurt, then pulse just until the pastry is moistened.
- Turn the pastry out onto a lightly floured surface and pat the dough into a disk shape.
- Wrap the pastry disk in plastic and refrigerate until firm, about 35-45 minutes.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry to a 13-inch round.
- Gently transfer the pastry into an 11-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Press the pastry it into the corners and up the side.
- Trim the pastry 1/4 inch above the rim of the tart pan and use extra dough to patch any holes or cracks.
- Chill the tart shell in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- Remove tart from refrigerator and line shell with parchment paper, then fill the tart with pie weights.
- Bake the shell for about 30 minutes, just until dry.
- Remove the parchment and pie weights and bake the crust for about 15 minutes longer, until golden brown.
- Let cool slightly, then transfer the tart pan to a large baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the cheese, apple, and ham evenly onto the tart shell.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the heavy cream, salt, fresh rosemary, pepper and spices.
- Pour the mixture into the tart shell and bake for about 45 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through baking, until the custard is just set and lightly browned on top.
- Transfer the tart to a rack and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Remove the outside ring from the tart pan and cut the tart into wedges.
- Top with toasted walnuts if desired.
- Serve warm.