Apple-Maple French Toast
A deliciously decadent breakfast that has all of the flavors you crave. Great for brunch too.
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 slices of whole grain bread
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 New York State apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Cinnamon to taste
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, and a pinch of ground cinnamon in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Dredge bread slices until all of the mixture is absorbed.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add apples, and stir to coat, until they begin to caramelize. Add water and cook until water has evaporated and apples are tender, about 4 minutes. Add maple syrup and a dash of ground cinnamon; then simmer for one minute and remove from heat.
- In a large, heated nonstick skillet, melt about 1 tablespoon butter and sauté the soaked bread until golden brown on each side, about 4 minutes. Place French toast on a plate and top with apple-maple mixture and additional diced apple if desired.