Apple Fennel Cider Spritzer
Fennel adds a warm anise flavor that balances out the sweetness of apple cider in this beautiful, non-alcoholic cocktail.
- KCal: 162.3kal
- Carbs: 40g
- Fat: 4g
- Protein: 2g
Fennel Syrup: (makes about 1 cup)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces New York State apple cider
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces (1 cup) seltzer or sparkling water
- Apple slices and fennel fronds, for garnish (optional)
- Coarsely grind fennel seeds in a spice grinder or food processor. Add seeds, sugar, and water to a small saucepan set over medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Pour the fennel syrup through a fine strainer and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Syrup will keep, airtight, in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- Stir together 2 Tablespoons fennel syrup, apple cider, and lemon juice in a tall ice-filled glass. Top with seltzer, and garnish with apple slices and fennel fronds (optional)