Applesauce is used in the meat marinade for this healthy fajita recipe.
- Serving Size1
- Yields6 Servings
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts, skinned
- 1/2 cup minced raw onion
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 1 to 2 dashes hot sauce
- vegetable cooking spray
- (12) 6-inch flour or corn tortillas
- warmed refried beans
- assorted toppings such as: chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, guacamole
- Slice chicken into 3-inch long strips. Place in large shallow bowl; set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine applesauce, vinegar, onion, oil, oregano, salt, pepper and hot sauce, mixing well. Pour over chicken, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours to marinate.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Lightly spray with vegetable cooking spray.
- Place chicken with marinade in hot skillet. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Turn and cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Spoon chicken into warm tortillas. Top with assorted toppings and serve with refried beans.