Cinnamon-sugar New York apples baked in flaky crust make these dumplings sweet and delicious.
Cook Time20 mins
- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 4 tablespoon(s) shortening
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Melt butter and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in apples, sugar and 3 Tablespoons water. Cover and cook stirring occasionally for 4-6 minutes or until slightly softened.
- In a small dish combine cornstarch and 2 Tablespoons water. Stir into apples and continue to cook until apples are soft and filling is thickened. Let bubble 1 minute. Cool.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening, add milk and mix to smooth dough. Turn onto floured board and divide into six portions. Roll each portion large enough to hold one-half cup of the apples.
- Wet edges of dough and fold over apples. Place on greased baking sheet and bake in 350° F oven about 20 minutes.