Apple Cranberry Pie in a Pecan Crust
This easy to assemble filling can also use fresh apple slices.
- Serving Size1
- Yields8 Servings
- Prep Time45 mins
- Cook Time1 hours
- 1 can (21 oz.) apple pie filling
- 1 can (16 oz.) whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 6 tablespoon(s) butter, softened
- 3 tablespoon(s) vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon(s) lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon(s) Amaretto liqueur
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, pecans, and salt. Cut in butter and shortening till pieces are the size of small peas. Add water; toss with a fork until dough forms a ball. Set aside 1 cup dough for lattice top.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten dough and roll out from center to edges forming a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry around rolling pin. Unroll onto a 9-inch pie plate.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine nutmeg, cardamom, apple fruit filling, cranberry sauce, amaretto, cornstarch and lemon zest. Pour into pastry shell.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten reserved dough and roll out from center to edges forming an 8-inch circle.
- Cut 1/2-inch strips for latticing. Weave the dough strips in a crosswise pattern on top of pie. Cut off excess dough around edges of pie. For a fluted edge, press with thumb from outside the pie against other thumb and forefinger.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven 55 to 60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Serve warm.