Apple Cider Cupcakes & Brown Sugar Cinnamon Buttercream
New York apple cider, brown sugar and cinnamon bring cozy flavors to these decadent cupcakes, which are sure to be a hit at any potluck or holiday festivity! For an extra flourish, we like to top each cupcake with an apple slice before serving.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup NY apple cider
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cream together butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer). Add the eggs and vanilla; mix until fully incorporated.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add the NY apple cider and the dry ingredient mixture into the butter and sugar mixture (alternating the cider and dry ingredients), slowly incorporating them into the mixture.
- Line a standard muffin tin with paper or foil liners.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds full and bake for 17-19 minutes. Bake until toothpick or skewer inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, whip butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla together with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar; mix until incorporated.
- Add milk until you reach desired consistency (add more for thinner frosting).
- Transfer to piping bag and frost each cupcake, once they have cooled.
- Garnish with an apple slice if desired.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.